The echoes of your feet pounding on the sidewalks are ringing in your ears, your heart feels like it’s about to explode, and it’s difficult to breathe. A quick turn of the head to observe that Mr. Psycho with the knife is still there as you run into the building filled with policemen. Oh, no! Where did all the people go? A sharp blade is against your throat. How did the lunatic get behind me?
Terrified, you’ve awakened in bed. Whew, what a nightmare! A part of you are relieved; although your body is still shaking. Was it just a nightmare? What could it mean?
The following quote comes from my book Learn the Secret Language of Dreams; Nightmares are a gift because the person is being forced awake to look at an issue that they have been avoiding to find a solution. Granted, they don’t feel like a gift; however, your nightmare is giving you a HUGE warning that you need to deal with this problem.
Let’s look at the seven common nightmares:
- Running and/or hiding away from danger.
- Someone wants to murder you.
- Falling from great heights.
- Watching harm befall a loved one.
- Body or health threats.
- Getting into an accident.
- Your possessions are stolen.
Nightmares are not meaningless visions of the nighttime; rather they are a signal of what is wrong. Here are some examples of what your nightmare could be caused from: your inner fear, feeling stuck in life, your unresolved dilemmas, dissatisfaction with a situation, post-traumatic stress disorder, or even a past life.
Here are five tips to aid you after having a nightmare:
- Stay awake after a nightmare to avoid going back into the nightmare.
- Record the nightmare in a journal or recording device to lessen its effect.
- Think about what is going on today or in the past that could have caused the nightmare.
- Formulate a plan to help resolve your struggles in life.
- Allow someone or a professional to help you.
I would love for you to comment about any concerns with your nightmares or what has helps you dealing with nightmares. My dream interpretation services can assist you, too.